Thursday, January 26, 2012

Old house love...

I got this letter in the mail yesterday...just addressed to "Resident" with our address on it.  From what I can tell the man is 90yrs old & still lives in the neighborhood...just a few blocks away.  I am guessing he's seen us outside & the kids playing & possibly felt nostalgic.  For many, many years prior to us buying the house it was a multi-family rental with 2-3 units.  I am sure a string of people moved in & out in those years...mostly younger people & probably very few families.  I can see how he'd like seeing a family in here again.  Anyway...I thought it was very sweet & thoughtful to reach out to us.  My husband or I will write him back & invite him over.  I'd love to hear stories or see more pictures of the house from those times & love to show him the house as it is now.

The Letter Text:
(His name and address blacked out for privacy)
I thought you might want to see (address of house blacked out) as it was in 1919 when my family moved in.  I spent my childhood in the house from 1922 to 1942.  I loved the house and have many memories.  I hope the same for you.  All the Best, Bill (Last name blacked out)

Ironically he has the same first name as my husband, middle initial & his last name sounds similar to ours.  SO weird.


We have looked on the archives for photos of our house & this was the best we could come up with.  This is the Church behind our house (before a few additions) with our garage just to the right of it--LOL!

And in comparision...the photo above has 3 people standing in front...presumably the owners.  Here is a picture I have with my family (minus me) standing in front from the Fall after we purchased it.  You can see the trim painted & the gorgeous maple leaves!



No comments: